I receive a weekly newsletter from a great place in Colorado called Denver Green Chili. I’ve had their product on two separate occasions and both time the eats were amazing. (If you like a kick in your food.)
I just got their most recent newsletter and this is what they had.
Obama Family Chili
Congratulations to Barack Obama on his re-election.
Here we have his family’s special chili recipe – a favorite to serve to guests. This is a flavorful, not very hot red chili recipe.
Note there are no green chiles in this recipe. Hey, if he had added 1/2 cup hot diced green chiles, he might have carried Texas 🙂 – I’m planning to try this recipe out and
add those green chiles.
This recipe is published in its original form (as the Obamas make it) on Denver Green Chili at
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Several cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground basil
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 5-6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Sauté onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Blend spices, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until cooked down.
- Add kidney beans and cook a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated
cheddar cheese, onions, and sour cream.
Preparation time: about 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6